George R.R. Martin confirms Jon Snow sequel in development stages.
We told you previously that another day another Game of Throne’s news and apparently the trend continues. Up next to give us the latest update on the Jon Snow sequel, is the author of Game Thrones himself, George R. R. Martin.
Till now we have had two sources talking about the show. Firstly, on 16th June 2022 Hollywood Reporter broke the news on the Jon Snow sequel.
Secondly, on 23rd June Emilia Clarke also spoke about the sequel and said “He (Kit) has told me about it. And I know it exists. It’s happening.
On the same day George R.R Martin wrote a blog answering all the possible questions he was legally allowed to as fans of Game of Thrones had been doubtful about the Jon snow sequel.
There are bunch of new information which have been revealed in his blog so we have lots to cover. Strap on as we bring you the latest on the Jon Snow game of thrones sequel.
WHAT DID GEORGE R.R MARTIN SAY ABOUT THE JON SEQUEL?
On June 23 2022, in his latest blog, George R.R. Martin began by addressing the large number of requests he had been getting from fans on whether the Jon Snow sequel is happening or not.
George R. R Martin answered back stating “Yes, there is a Jon Snow show in development.”
He also cited the news on Hollywood Reporter as said “The HOLLYWOOD REPORTER story was largely correct. And I would expect no less from James Hibberd. I have dealt with a lot of reporters over the past few years, and Hibberd is one of the very best, an actual journalist who does all the things journalists are supposed to do (getting the facts right, talking to sources, respecting requests for “background only” and “off the record,” etc) that most of the clickbait sites never bother with.
He also confirmed the working title of the show as, Snow and HBO has given the green light.
It’s hard to argue now with the James Hibberd who some fans didn’t believe as he isn’t the most popular man in the Game of Thrones fandom. Coming from George R. R. Martin s’ mouth outrightly confirms that Jon Snow sequel is definitely on the cards.
IS JON SNOW SEQUEL PART OF HBO SUCCESOR SHOWS?
HBO has taken up four live successor shows Ten thousand ships, The Nymeria show, helmed by Amanda Segel, Sea snake aka nine voyages, with Bruno Heller, the Dunk & Egg show and The Hedge Knight or Knight of the seven kingdoms, with Steve Conrad writing.
George R.R. Martin also confirmed that the Jon Snow sequel aka Snow is also part of the HBO s’ successor shows. He said “SNOW has been in development almost as long as the other three, but for whatever reason it was never announced and it never leaked… until now”.
Reading that gives us again a confirmation that George R. R Martin had been consulted and been in the know of Jon Snow sequel.
Although, it’s not a surprise since he did sign a five-year deal with HBO but there were no official announcement attaching his name to the sequel.
Its must be a sigh of relief to the fans as George R. R. Martin s’ involvement would mean the sequel will be under the HBO banner.
WILL GEORGE R.R. MARTIN BE WRITING THE JON SNOW SEQUEL?
In regards to the writers George R.R Martin said, “Yes, it was Kit Harrington who brought the idea to us. I cannot tell you the names of the writers/ showrunners, since that has not been cleared for release yet… but Kit brought them in too, his own team, and they are terrific”.
Regarding his involvement George R.R. Martin said “I am involved, just as I am with the hedge knight and the sea snake and ten thousand ships, and all the animated shows”.
He also confirmed that Kit Harrington and his team met him in Santa Fe to hammer home the details for the show.
This is really interesting to know because it feels there is some animosity from Harrington s’ part on how Game of Throne s’ ended especially his character.
WILL THE JON SNOW SEQUEL GET PICKED UP BY HBO?
Game of Thrones has been the biggest cash cow for HBO for more than ten years. With streaming sites like Netflix and Amazon becoming more and more popular, HBO has to get back in the game now with the upcoming prequel House of Dragons.
As mentioned, there are four successor shows in plan keeping aside the Jon snow sequel and the animated show.
George R.R Martin said “Outlines and treatments have been written and approved, scripts have been written, notes have been given, second and third drafts have been written.”
He goes on to say “Nothing has been green lit yet, and there is no guarantee when or if it will be on any of these shows. The likelihood of all four series getting on the air well, I’d love it, but that’s not the way it works, usually”.
It feels both the author and HBO are doing their best to get Game of Thrones back in different capacity. Its again not a surprise as HBO previously lost 30 million dollars in an unreleased game of thrones spin off starring Naomi Watts.
George R.R Martin concluded by saying “There are all sorts of reasons pilots never get picked up to series, all sorts of reasons scripts never got shot as pilots, all sorts of reasons great treatments never get sent to script. That’s the way the business works. “
Despite that last statement by George R.R Martin, we highly doubt HBO won’t pick up the Jon Snow Sequel. Jon Snow is a fan favourite character which is alive and following his story post the war would be on the Wishlist of many Games of thrones fans.
We like to also point out that the Jon Snow sequel won’t be a continuation of the original series i.e., Game of Thrones Season 9.Its also makes no sense to do so as many important characters are dead and casting will also be a big problem.
If you are or were a Game of Thrones irrespective of your views on Season 8, this update should definitely make you excited. Kit Harrington is the front runner in creating the show and with G.R.R Martin on board, we cant wait to know more about Snow!